Born in Ibaraki, Japan, Gouta Seki trained at English National Ballet School in London before joining Hong Kong Ballet as a member of the Corps de Ballet in 2020 and became Coryphée in 2023.
With HKB, his featured roles include Crane and White Tiger in Septime Webre’s The Nutcracker. He has performed in Cynthia Harvey’s The Sleeping Beauty, Nina Ananiashvili’s Don Quixote, Webre’s Cinderella, Romeo + Juliet, ALICE (in wonderland) and Ballet Classics for Children: Cinderella and George Balanchine’s Jewels. He also danced in Christopher Wheeldon’s Cinderella and at English National Ballet’s 70th Anniversary Gala.
1. Why did you start dancing?
Because my older sister was also doing ballet.
2. What was the first ballet you ever performed?
Swan Lake or The Nutcracker.
3. Most memorable onstage moment and why?
The moment when I lost my balance and almost dropped my partner in the last pose of pas de deux.
4. What keeps you motivated on tough days?
Dancers and people around me.
5. What place do you feel most yourself?
6. If you could have one more talent, what would it be?
Singing or cooking.
7. What is your favourite food?
Any Japanese food.
8. What are your hobbies?
Drawing and painting.
9. What is the most interesting place you have ever visited or want to visit?
I want to visit Paris one day.
10. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?