Born in Osaka, Japan, Rio Fukunaga trained at Joffrey Academy of Dance on scholarship and later at European School of Ballet. He joined Hong Kong Ballet in 2022 as a Corps de Ballet member.
Rio actively participates in ballet competitions and was a 2020 Prix de Lausanne semi-finalist.
1. Why did you start dancing?
When I was in kindergarten, my older sister started taking ballet lessons at the ballet school near my house, and my mother and I went to see her. After that she made me want to do it, and I started taking lessons.
2. Most memorable/weird onstage moment and why?
When I was dancing contemporary dance at the Prix de Lausanne, I had a really bad fall in front of the juries.
3. How do you unwind after a show?
Taking a bath after icing my legs.
4. What keeps you motivated on tough days?
When I don’t feel well, I try to smile while I’m dancing, because smiling brings a better mood.
5. What is the place where you feel most yourself?
On the stage.
6. If you could have one more talent, what would it be?
7. What’s your favourite food?
8. What would you be if you were not a dancer?
9. What are your hobbies?
Playing video games with friends.
10. What is your favorite movie/book?
Harry Potter and Marvel movies.
11. Where is the most interesting place you have ever visited or want to visit?
I visited London once, and I really loved the city.
12. If you can have a superpower, what would it be?
Flying in the air.
13. Who is your favorite dancer who has inspired you?