Ballet Master / Mistress
Reports to: The Artistic Director
Start Date: July, 2021
Hong Kong Ballet is one of Asia’s premiere ballet companies, working in one of the world’s most dynamic cities, Hong Kong Ballet performs expensively in its home market and also on tour internationally, with a broad repertoire, including exquisite stagings of the classics, neoclassical masterworks by George Balanchine and others, fresh works by a variety of international choreographers including Alexei Ratmansky, Christopher Wheeldon, Justin Peck, Wayne McGregor, Jiri Kylian, Trey McIntyre, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, as well as original works created by its two resident choreographers, Ricky Hu and Septime Webre.
Hong Kong Ballet seeks a Ballet Mistress/Master who teaches an inspiring class, can coach principal dancers on the classical repertoire, prepare and drill a world-class corps de ballet, is comfortable overseeing contemporary works, can mentor dancers and assist them in their progress, has good organizational skills and can participate in scheduling as well as long-term planning, and be team-oriented. Hong Kong Ballet’s Artistic Team includes the Artistic Director and three full-time Ballet Masters/Mistresses, regular guest teachers and a Company Management Team which supports the Artistic Team.
Hong Kong Ballet is an international ballet company with artists from around the globe. Classes and rehearsals are conducted in English. Proficiency in another language—Mandarin in particular—is helpful but not required.
- To further the dancers’ technical training by teaching a challenging and inspiring company class, incorporating both conceptual ideas and specific technical information. In addition, being comfortable teaching a strong pointe/women’s class occasionally is essential;
- To assist visiting choreographers/repetiteurs in staging new works which enter the repertoire, rehearsing and maintaining these ballets, and working to maximise the dancers’ artistic and technical achievements in these works. Absent the original choreographer or stager, to be completely conversant with the artistic intent, style and point of view of each work. To document details of each new work in an appropriate manner so that it may be accurately restaged subsequently;
- To rehearse and elevate the Company’s classical repertoire, with the goal of ensuring the highest artistic and technical standards of the artists. To engage and inspire dancers at every rank to achieve their personal best in the classics;
- To foster a positive work environment where the company is working as a team, with both discipline and levity, and to lead by example.
- To work in collaboration with the Artistic Team to ensure the artistic integrity of the works when they are transferred to the stage;
- To give performance feedback to the dancers when appropriate, in a manner which is constructive, helpful and honest;
- To work with the Artistic Team on casting for all works, and in the absence of the original choreographer or Artistic Director, make appropriate casting changes which may be necessary in the theatre.
- To participate in the ongoing daily scheduling process with the Artistic and Company Management Teams;
- Along with the Artistic Staff, to guide each dancer and to give appropriate feedback so that the dancer can grow with the Company to achieve personal and career development;
- Along with the Artistic Team, to audition new dancers for Hong Kong Ballet, and participate actively in the recruitment of international dancers to join the Company;
- To participate in the artistic planning process with the Artistic Team, including planning repertoire, inviting guest teachers and guest dancers to join Hong Kong Ballet, and assisting to map out the artistic direction of the Company.
- To work with the Health-and Wellness Team to ensure dancer health. To report on injuries and assist in monitoring progress of recovering dancers;
- To help grow the company’s culture of cross-training and health awareness.
- To engage in other activities which would normally be expected of a Ballet Master/Mistress of a ballet company, including serving as an ambassador and advocate for HK Ballet, occasionally providing Master classes and other artistic encounters with the public at large, supporting the efforts of the marketing, development and education departments of the Company, as well as interfacing with Board members and other patrons.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please submit a CV/resume and cover letter addressing you interest in this position and you qualifications to email@example.com;
- Application deadline: Position closed when filled